Need help with state nomination?

​​​​​​​​​​​Western Australia offers State nomination for the permanent Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) and the temporary Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) which allows migrants to live in regional Western Australia.

The process for obtaining State nomination is as follows:

1. Submit an eligible expression of interest (EOI) in the Department of Immigration     and Border Protection (DIBP) SkillSele​​ct database.


For your EOI to be eligible, you must meet all the following criteria.

  • Score at least 60 in the DIBP points test. This includes the points for State nomination which are automatically included in your EOI:

 o five points for the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190); and

 o 10 points for the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa
    (subclass 489).

  • Have evidence of a skills assessment suitable for permanent migration in your nominated occupation.

  • Have an available nominated occupation on the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list schedule 1 or 2 (WASMOL).

  • Have demonstrated at least the minimum English language requirements applicable to your occupation through an approved English test.* If you have a passport from the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America or Ireland, you are not required to sit an English exam.

  • Be younger than 50 years of age.

  • Have at least one year's work experience within Australia or three years' work experience overseas within the last 10 years in your nominated or closely related occupation.

  • Have selected ‘Western Australia’ or ‘any State or territory’ as your preferred state.

​*Approved English language tests and minimum required scores

For candidates nominating an ANZSCO Major Occupation Group 1 (Managers) or Group 2 (Professionals) occupation







Minimum score

​International English Language Testing System (IELTS)​7​7​7​7
​Occupational English Test (OET)​B​B​B​B
​Test of English as a foreign language internet based test (TO​​EFL iBT)​24​24​27​23
​Pearson Test of English Academic
(PTE Academic)
​Cambridge English: Advanced (CEA)​185​185​185​185


All other occupations







Minimum score

​International English Language Testing System (IELTS)6666
​Occupational English Test (OET)​B​B​B​B
​Test of English as a foreign language internet based test (TOEFL iBT)12132118
​Pearson Test of English Academic
(PTE Academic)
​Cambridge English: Advanced (CEA)​169​169​169​169


2. If you are eligible, Skilled Migration Western Australia (SMWA) will contact you (via email) through SkillSelect with a link to the State nomination application form. You have up to 28 days to complete the application. The application includes three multiple choice questionnaires which test your knowledge of Western Australia. You will be given links to relevant websites to help with your research.

To be successful, applications must meet the State nomination criteria​. 
A $200 non-refundable application fee applies.


3. If your application is successful, SMWA nominates you in SkillSelect and you automatically rece​ive an invitation from DIBP to lodge your visa application.

All successful applicants are required to:

  • register their arrival with the Settlement Services team​;

  • live and work in Western Australia for two years upon arrival; and

  • bring sufficient funds (for at least three months) into the State to cover settlement costs.

For occupations which require licensing or registration before you are permitted to work in Western Australia, a positive skills assessment and State nomination do not guarantee that you will meet the licensing or registration requirements of the relevant licensing or registration authority. ​Those considering applying for Western Australian nomination are advised to check with the appropriate licensing or registration authority to verify their suitability for licensing or registration.



SkillSelect is an online service provided by DIBP that enables skilled workers who are interested in migrating to Australia to record their details to be considered for a skilled visa through an EOI. Intending migrants may be identified and nominated for skilled visas by Australian employers or State and territory governments, or they could be invited by the Commonwealth Government to lodge a visa application.
For more information and to submit an EOI, visit the DIBP website​.


Contract of employment

If you are invited to make an application for State nomination from Western Australia, you may require a contract of employment. This is a requirement for​ those who have an occupation on Schedule 2 of the WASMOL, those living in an Australian state or territory other than Western Australia, and those who have a restricted preferred region.

The contract has to meet all of ​the following conditions. It must:

  • be in your nominated or closely related occupation;

  • be based in Western Australia (for visa subclass 489, this must be in an area outside of Perth and surrounding areas);

  • be for at least one year (unless permanent);

  • show compensation and benefits;

  • have the name of the employee and the employer;

  • have a job description; and

  • be full time (a minimum of 35 hours a week).

You may provide two employment contracts which equal at least 35 hours of work per week.

After you have submitted your application for State nomination, the contract of employment must be emailed to migration@dtwd.wa.gov.au.

Settlement funds

If you live outside of Western Australia, one of the conditions of State nomination is that you bring sufficient funds into the State to cover your settlement costs. The minimum amount of funds required is:

  • for a single person – $20 000 (AUD);

  • for a couple – $30 000 (AUD)​; and

  • for every additional dependant –​ $5 000 (AUD). 

​You will be asked during the State nomination application process to show evidence of the above funds through bank statements or asset evaluations.

Settlement Services

​​Settlement Services​ is an information and referral service provided to skilled migrants. The Settlement Services team and website can provide you with information on childcare and education; employment; emergency services; finding a house; health/hospitals; public transport; sport and recreation; and transport and services​.

Migration agents

In Australia, migration agents must be registered with the Department of Immigration and Border Security's Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority. If you choose to use a migration agent, it is important that you check that the agent is properly registered.

For more information about migration agents, visit the
Migration Agents R​egistration Authority website​.



Registration for recently arrived skilled migrantsRequest a review of a state nomination application
Processing time for State nomination applications (days) 5