Western Australia offers State nomination for the permanent Skilled – Nominated (subclass 190) visa and the temporary Nominated (provisional) (subclass 489) visa which allows migrants to live in regional Western Australia.
The process for obtaining State nomination is as follows:
1 Submit an eligible expression of interest (EOI) in the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) SkillSelect database.
For your EOI to be eligible you must:
- Score at least 60 for the DIBP points test. This includes the points for State nomination which are automatically included in your EOI:
o Five points for the Skilled - Nominated (subclass 190) visa; and
o Ten points for the Skilled - Nominated (provisional) (subclass 489) visa.
- Have evidence of a skills assessment suitable for permanent migration in your nominated occupation.
- Have a nominated occupation on the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list schedule 1 or 2.
- Have evidence of at least competent English (International English Language Testing System result of at least six in each band).
- Be younger than 50 years of age.
- Have Western Australia selected as the preferred State.
To lodge your EOI and for more information on the above requirements visit www.skillselect.gov.au
2 Skilled Migration Western Australia contacts eligible applicants by email through SkillSelect with a link to the State nomination application form, which must be completed within 28 days.
A $200 non-refundable application fee applies.
Applications must meet the State nomination criteria.
All successful applicants are required to:
- live and work in Western Australia for two years upon arrival; and
- bring sufficient funds (for at least three months) into the State to cover settlement costs.
3 If your application is successful, Skilled Migration Western Australia nominates you in SkillSelect and you automatically receive an invitation from DIBP to lodge your visa application.
SkillSelect is an online service provided by DIBP that enables skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia to record their details to be considered for a skilled visa through an EOI. Intending migrants may be identified and nominated for skilled visas by Australian employers or state and territory governments, or they could be invited by the Australian Government to lodge a visa application.
For more information and to submit an EOI, please visit the DIBP website at www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/
Offer of employment
If you are invited to make an application for State nomination from Western Australia you may require an offer of employment. This is a requirement for those who have studied in Australia and are a recent graduate, or live in an Australian state other than Western Australia. This is also a requirement for applicants with an occupation on the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list schedule 2 (off list).
The offer of employment must meet all of the following conditions:
- be in your nominated, or closely related occupation;
- be based in Western Australia, for visa subclass 489 this must be in an area outside of Perth and surrounding areas;
- be for at least one year; and
- be full time (a minimum of 37.5 hours a week).
If you are currently employed in Western Australia, in your nominated or closely related occupation, you must provide evidence that this employment will continue for a further 12 months.
This must be typed on company letterhead and signed by your potential or current employer.