Need help with state nomination?

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Western Australia offers State nomination for the permanent Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) and the temporary Skilled Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 489) which allows migrants to live in regional Western Australia.

The process for obtaining State nomination is as follows:

1. Submit an eligible expression of interest (EOI) in the Department of Home Affairs SkillSele​​ct database.


To be invited to apply for State nomination, you must meet all the following criteria.

  • Have submitted an EOI indicating that you are seeking nomination from Western Australia or any state or territory.

  • Score at least 65 in​ the Department of Home Affairs points test. This includes the points for State nomination which are automatically included in your EOI:

-   five points for the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190); and

-   10 points for the Skilled Regional (provisional) visa
    (subclass 489).

  • Have evidence of a skills assessment suitable for permanent migration in your nominated occupation.

  • Have an available nominated occupation on the Western Australian skilled migration oc​cupation list​ (WASMOL).

  • Have demonstrated at least the minimum English language requirements applicable to your occupation through an approved English test.* If you have a passport from the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America or Ireland, you are not required to sit an English exam to be eligible for Western Australian State nomination.
    Some assessing authorities require an English test result as part of the skills assessment process.

  • Be younger than 45 years of age.

  • Be able to claim and give evidence of work experience in the Expression of Interest. This requirement can be met through:

  1. ​​at least one year of Australian work experience in the nominated (or closely related) occupation** over the last 10 years; or

  2. at least three years of overseas work experience in the nominated (or closely related) occupation** over the last
    10 years.

  • Have selected ‘Western Australia’ or ‘any State or territory’ as your preferred s​tate.

​*Approved English language tests and minimum required scores

**Skilled Migration Western Australia does not undertake work experience assessments and defers to the relevant assessing authority as to the suitability of work experience for points.​

For candidates nominating an ANZSCO Major Occupation Group 1 (Managers) or Group 2 (Professionals) occupation







Minimum score

​International English Language Testing System (IELTS)​7​7​7​7
​Occupational English Test (OET)​B​B​B​B
​Test of English as a foreign language internet based test (TO​​EFL-iBT)​24​24​27​23
​Pearson Test of English Academic
(PTE Academic)
​Cambridge English: Advanced (CEA) ​185 ​185 ​185 ​185

All other occupations







Minimum score

​International English Language Testing System (IELTS)6666
​Occupational English Test (OET)​B​B​B​B
​Test of English as a foreign language internet based test (TOEFL iBT)12132118
​Pearson Test of English Academic
(PTE Academic)
​Cambridge English: Advanced (CEA) ​169 ​169 ​169 ​169


2. If you are selected, Skilled Migration Western Australia (SMWA) will contact you (via email) through SkillSelect with a link to the State nomination application form. You have up to 28 days to complete the application. The application includes three multiple choice questionnaires which test your knowledge of Western Australia. You will be given links to relevant websites to help with your research.

To be successful, applications must meet the State nomination criteria​​​​​, which include additional requirements. You may be asked to provide evidence to demonstrate you meet the State nomination criteria. You may also be asked for clarification and further information during the processing of your application.
A ​$200 non-refundable application fee applies.


3. If your application is successful, Skilled Migration Western Australia nominates you in SkillSelect and you automatically rece​ive an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs to lodge your visa application.

All successful applicants are required to:

  • register their arrival with the Settlemen​t Services team​​;

  • bring sufficient funds (for at least three months) into the State to cover settlement costs;

  • live and work in Western Australia for two years upon arrival: and

  • complete a settlement survey every six months for this two year period.

For occupations which require licensing or registration before you are permitted to work in Western Australia, a positive skills assessment and State nomination do not guarantee that you will meet the licensing or registration requirements of the relevant licensing or registration authority. Those considering applying for Western Australian nomination are advised to check with the appropriate licensing or registration authority to verify their suitability for licensing or registration.



SkillSelect is an online service provided by the Department of Home Affairs that enables skilled workers who are interested in migrating to Australia to record their details to be considered for a skilled visa through an EOI. Intending migrants may be identified and nominated for skilled visas by Australian employers or State and territory governments, or they could be invited by the Commonwealth Government to lodge a visa application. For more information and to submit an EOI, visit the
Department of Home Affairs we​bsite​.


Contract of employment

There is a requirement for all applicants who wish to apply for a State Nominated visa (489 and 190 subclasses) to have a contract of employment for full time employment for at least 12 months in Western Australia in the nominated (or closely related ) occupation.

​Current employment or contract of employment is evidenced by providing a copy of a signed employment contract with the employer.

A contract of employment must include at least the following:

  1. ​full names of ​both the employer and the employee;

  2. contract start date and end date (if permanent, only start date is required);

  3. job description of the work to be performed by the employee;

  4. the terms and conditions of employment (include the position's salary, hours of work, leave entitlements, superannuation, among other things) that are no less favourable than those that would apply to an Australian citizen or permanent resident doing equivalent work;

  5. location of employment; and

  6. a statement that the work specified in the employment contract must be perform​ed by the employee and not contracted out to a third party.​

Additional requirement of an employment contract:

  1. must be signed and dated by the employer and the employee and provided as one document; and

  2. must be drafted by the employer and not by the employee.

​Full time employment is defined as "on average at least 35 hours of work per week".

​You may provide two employment contracts which equal at least 35 hours of work per week.

After submitting your application for State nomination, the contract of employment must be emailed to migration@dtwd.wa.gov.au​.

​Settlement funds

If you live outside of Western Australia, one of the conditions of State nomination is that you bring sufficient funds into the State to cover your settlement costs.
The minimum amount of funds required is:

  • for a single person – $20 000 (AUD);

  • for a couple – $30 000 (AUD); and​

  • for every additional dependant –​ $5 000 (AUD). 

​You will be asked during the State nomination application process to show evidence of the above funds through bank statements or asset valuations.

Settlement Services

​​Settlement Services is an information and referral service provided to skilled migrants. The Settlement Services team and website can provide you with information on childcare and education; employment​; emergency services; finding a house; health/hospitals; public transport; sport and recreation; and transport and s​ervices​.

Migration agents

In Australia, migration agents must be registered with the Department of Home Affairs Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority. If you choose to use a migration agent, it is important that you check that the agent is properly registered.

For more information about migration agents, visit the
Migration Agents R​egistration Authority website​.​​

Request a review of a state nomination application